Sunday, August 14, 2011

Can you check my punctuation in this? Regards :)?

Emigrating to Hood River from London led to many improvements in lifestyle, but with this move came many challenges. For example, my last house before I emigrated was in the district of Camberwell, located in south east London. I would open my curtains in the morning, to look through the double-glazed windows and be greeted with a view consisting of row upon row of cookie-cutter housing, and a singular, scrubby birch tree. Because house prices are incredible high; many young people choose to share the rent with others. I would walk down to the kitchen for the my first of numerous coffees, to find the debris of a dinner cooked the night before; perhaps an Ethiopian wat congealed to a saucepan or perchance a sink-full of pad thai encrusted plates. In contract, when I awaken in my current residence on The Heights I do not need to open the curtains — as I have no neighbours. Instead I stand before my old barn windows, gl rippled and sagging with time, to be greeted with a view of flower-beds, rolling gr, pears trees in bright, white blossom, and on the close horizon a majestic view of Mount Adams. I can admire this idyllic view while sipping on a cup of coffee that was brewed in a reasonable clean kitchen used by just my wife and I. On leaving my cramp quarters in Camberwell it would take me over an hour to travel to work. I would take a stroll to the bus-stop, my hopes being raised every time a big red behemoth came into sight only to find that it was a number 185 to Crystal Palace, a 122 to Lewisham or even a 176 to Sydenham Hill. Often I would give up waiting and take the long walk to the train station, only to find that the moment I was past running distance back to the bus-stop the hallowed 132 would be sure to sail past me. Undoubtedly this would be succeeded by a huddled wait on the platform for a train ride to London Bridge tube station for the half hour delight of having my face pressed against the window, still wet from the previous victim's sweat and saliva, in a carriage fit to bursting with perspiring commuters. Now however, the greatest problem I have is what cd I wish to select that will be the auditory backdrop to a stunningly beautiful drive, ever changing with the seasons, along the Columbia Gorge. These supposed challenges that I had planned on writing about now seem rather trite and inconsequential. Truly, I miss the security of free health care, superior humour and of course my family and longtime friends. Equally important for me, the fact that no matter where I was living in the UK I would never be more than an hours train trip to the sea. Although, security is over-rated, a sense of sarcasm can be taught, and sometimes I think that the happiest families are those that are kept at arms length. And while it is true that the ocean takes more determination to travel to, on cannot compare the Pacific ocean with a twenty-one mile stretch of English Channel, blighted by a view of France on the all too close horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment